Bánh xèo is a popular dish during summer when the herb is grown in full in the garden.
The dish is very good with sorrel (lá chua), a sour herb and bitter bokchoi (cải bẹ xanh),
It is much much preferred than lettuce.
The dish should be serverved hot, immediately off the stove while it is crunchy/.
In our neighborhood, where there are many of us who can take turn to make the crêpe in the
kitchen while others eat, this is great fun.
- – Jicama (Củ sắn), thinly slice into strips
- – Yellow Onion, sliced into strips
- – Green Onion, cut into 2 inches pieces
- – Slice Pork Shoulder (can be substitute by high quality bacon), cut into 2 inches piece
- – Fresh Shrimp
- – Firm Fried Tofu, sliced
- – Steam yellow bean (peeled green beans)
- Ready mix crepe mixture at the Asian grocery store (Bột bánh xèo)
- a can of coconut milk
- a bottle of beer
- cold water
- a bunch of green onion, chopped
- Olive oil
-any basic Vietnamese fish sauce recipe
1. To make the batter:
Mix the batter according to bag direction, with the following twist:
- If the bag direction indicated 3 1/2 cups of water, use 2 cups of iced cold water and
2 cups of cold beer.
- If the bag direction indicated 750 ml then use 500 ml of iced cold water and
500 ml of cold beer.
First, mix the 2 types of flour together, shift the coconut milt into the mixed flour to create a thick texture. Slowly mix in the beer/water mix above. Stir until dissolved. Add the green onion. Put this in the fridge until ready to use.
2. Prepare the filling:
– Soak yellow bean in warm water for a few minute. Put your steam on, add the bean when the water boiling and steam for a round 10 minutes until the bean is tender. The time is depend on your steamer’s size and how much bean you used. This dish does not required that lots.
– Stir fry pork shoulder briefly with salt & pepper, if using bacon, just fry bacon and pepper. It will be a few minute until the meat is thoroughly cook.
– If you use large shrimp, then cut the shrimp into half, and fry it until pink.
3. To make the crepe:
On a medium high heat, use non stick pan, with some olive oil, start a few slices of onion, green onion, tofu and pork. Fry for 30 seconds, then pour in
a laddle of the batter, enough to cover the bottom of the pan in a thin layer.
Wait for the crepe settle on the pan, about 30 secs, add the slices of jicama, yellow bean and shrimp. Cover for around 2 mins (depend on your stove).
Fold the crepe into half and serve.
Serve crepe with a variety of herb, folded together inside a large leave of bitter bok choi and dipping sauce.